Anima Christi

My translation of the Anima Christi, in everyday English:

Christ's soul, make me holy.
Christ's body, save me.
Christ's blood, make me drunk.
Water from Christ's side, wash me.
Christ's suffering, give me great strength.
Good Jesus, listen to me.
Hide me in your wounds.
Don't let me be severed from you.
Defend me from the evil enemy.
Call me when I die.
And tell me to come to you,
So I can praise you with your saints
Forever and ever. Amen.

John Henry Newman's (d. 1890, soon to be declared "blessed") poetic translation:

Soul of Christ, be my sanctification;
Body of Christ, be my salvation;
Blood of Christ, fill all my veins;
Water of Christ's side, wash out my stains;
Passion of Christ, my comfort be;
O good Jesus, listen to me;
In Thy wounds I fain would hide;
Ne'er to be parted from Thy side;
Guard me, should the foe assail me;
Call me when my life shall fail me;
Bid me come to Thee above,
With Thy saints to sing Thy love,
World without end.
Amen.
The original Latin (to check our work!):

Anima Christi, sanctifica me.
Corpus Christi, salua me.
Sanguis Christi, inebria me.
Aqua lateris Christi, laua me.
Passio Christi, conforta me.
O bone Jesu, exaudi me.
Intra tua uulnera absconde me.
Ne permittas me separari a te.
Ab hoste maligno defende me.
In hora mortis meae uoca me.
Et iube me uenire ad te,
Vt cum Sanctis tuis laudem te.
In saecula saeculorum.
Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts